Interview with Seok-Hwan You of Rokit Healthcare on Bioprinting 1

Interview with Seok-Hwan You of Rokit Healthcare on Bioprinting

Interview with Seok-Hwan You of Rokit Healthcare on Bioprinting 2

When Seok-Hwan You based Rokit Healthcare the corporate was one of many first worldwide to have the ability to 3D print PEEK and different high-performance supplies. It rapidly grew to dominate its native Korean medical and bioprinting market earlier than reaching abroad for growth. Not too long ago the agency pivoted from simply promoting 3D printers and supplies in the direction of providing built-in options. With a renewed give attention to regenerative healthcare, the agency is providing full options for bioprinting. Rokit Healthcare now provides bioinks, the agency has a tissue financial institution, a 3D printing service and coaching. Rokit Healthcare is now furthering its aim to guide in bioprinting. I used to be very impressed by Rokit’s amenities and employees after I visited the agency. We interviewed Rokit Healthcare CEO Seok-Hwan You to seek out out extra about his imaginative and prescient on bioprinting and targets for the pioneering firm.

What’s Rokit Healthcare?

ROKIT Healthcare strives to enhance the standard of life and well being world wide by addressing the issue of ageing and age-related ailments with whole, healthcare options. 3D biofabrication and the event of patient-specific tissue and organ regeneration therapies are our core capabilities. Nonetheless, we’re additionally concerned within the provision of different healthcare packages, similar to genetic testing of people, personalized insurance coverage companies, and world medical excursions.

Why did you pivot in the direction of regenerative drugs and away from bioprinting?

We now have not pivoted “away from bioprinting” per se. It is rather a lot our core scientific know-how; it units the bottom for customized remedy options we anticipate to introduce to world hospitals, from patient-specific pores and skin and cartilage regeneration to coronary heart and retina patch biofabrication options. Nonetheless, as beforehand talked about, we consider bioprinting should converge with different preventive drugs and diagnostic applied sciences, digitalization and healthcare administration methods to be actually efficient on the stage of affected person outcomes.
So, we search to deal with regenerative drugs and healthcare from a a lot wider vantage level, with bioprinting as an essential however not the one one space of our endeavors.

Why ought to 3D Print companion with you? 

What units ROKIT Healthcare aside is that we provide companies and insights from a complete regenerative drugs answer supplier’s perspective fairly than a 3D bioprinting machine, biomaterial, or 3D printed tissue merchandise firm.
As a lot as 3D bioprinting sits on the middle of an exponential tech convergence, a bunch that may strategy the sphere from numerous vantage factors of well being enterprise and economics is more likely to be a really perfect companion for 3D Print in reaching out to its various skilled shopper bases. ROKIT Healthcare is such a bunch.

What clients are you in search of?

At the moment, our precedence lies in creating buyer bases for our 3D bioprinter and biomaterial platforms. Our focus clients embody analysis teams from universities, authorities institutes, hospital labs, and pharmaceutical corporations. The fields of software vary from tissue engineering and regenerative drugs to micro-tissue improvement for pharmaceutical testing as a substitute for animal experiments. Quickly, nevertheless, as we introduce 3D bioprinting-based remedy options like pores and skin and cartilage regeneration platforms, we anticipate our shopper bases to broaden past life sciences analysis to medical doctors and medical machine corporations.

Interview with Seok-Hwan You of Rokit Healthcare on Bioprinting 3

What’s your organization tradition like?

Like all nice corporations, we worth integrity, excellence, respect, collaboration, and autonomy. However the 4 key values we as an organization stay by are: 1) possession: we encourage sturdy possession and autonomous decision-making by staff; 2) detail-orientation: we strategy each job with a apply of totally and concisely reviewing services or products execution; three) no give up: we don’t surrender simply and discover worth in even the littlest 1% chance in opposition to 99% objections; four) again to the fundamentals: we follow simplicity and adherence to basic rules and values of integrity, self-discipline, and respect.

On the convergence of those 4 values stands one key motion precept: “Hold Blitz and Easy”. We, ROKIT Healthcare, are dedicated to maximizing worker freedom to struggle the “python of course of”. We give uncommon quantities of freedom and data to all staff, sharing paperwork and enterprise plans internally broadly and systematically, as a result of we consider that highly-informed and autonomous staff are able to logic to guide the corporate to success.

What do you hope to attain over the subsequent 5 years?

We envision integrating the 3D bioprinter and its functions into the standard healthcare companies, making the thought of bioprinting as a medical machine a actuality. Already we now have begun the journey this month, with the beginning of our first medical research of bioprinting-based pores and skin regeneration for diabetic foot ulcer sufferers in India (August, 2019). 

Why is it essential to bioprint contained in the working theatre?

Bioprinting proper by the bedside contained in the working theatre means minimized time, dangers, and prices within the switch of affected person cells to the bioprinter and within the switch of printed tissues again to the affected person. It’s a new form of point-of-care customized healthcare answer that maximizes the advantages of autologous regenerative drugs applied sciences.

What bioprinting supplies are you enthusiastic about?

These days, there are a lot of sorts of bioinks out there, together with artificial and pure polymers. However, they aren’t all relevant to the human physique. We are saying “Growing old is a Illness; Nature is the Finest Remedy”. In that sense, we’re enthusiastic about the entire extracellular matrix (ECM)-based bioinks which can be derived from the ‘Human Physique’. We consider the ECM is Nature.

What new developments are very attention-grabbing to you?

In the case of conventional diagnostics of most cancers, no matter its sorts, medical doctors have been treating their sufferers solely with bulk RNA-based evaluation. However, as many people notice at this time within the most cancers analysis subject, we all know that the rationale most cancers is so onerous to deal with is that it’s a particularly heterogeneous inhabitants of cells. We perceive that every cell is its personal universe. Understanding every of those universes is just potential by single-cell RNA evaluation, and this might be key to taking any step nearer to discovering efficient remedies for most cancers. The scRNA know-how could have a lot room to mature, however we’re engaged on it enthusiastic about its potential.

Interview with Seok-Hwan You of Rokit Healthcare on Bioprinting 4

What merchandise do you’ve?

We provide INVIVO, our signature 3D bioprinter. Plus, we provide 3D printers for materials engineering and superior prototyping in biomedical fields with supplies like PEEK and ULTEM.

Do you’ve excessive hopes for PEEK? PCL? Different supplies?

We now have been paying an excessive amount of consideration to broadening functions for medical-grade PCL and PEEK, particularly within the functions of bone regenerative matrix and customised capsule fabrication. Nonetheless, the best focus of our vitality lies not on artificial plastics, however on pure elements like human ECM as a supportive supplies for 3D printed residing cells. 

What are the challenges in bioprinting?

The largest problem that every one industrial gamers of 3D bioprinting face is closing the hole between the know-how we provide and the precise wants of our clients within the bioprinting analysis. A key a part of these wants is to know that bio 3D printing, not like industrial 3D printing, isn’t solely about manufacturing buildings with architectural stability however about selling cell ingrowth and contemplating the affect of manufacture on cell viability. Primarily based on a continuing probe into such understanding, we’re constructing a base for creating next-generation bioprinting applied sciences and biomaterial functions.

Please allow JavaScript to view the feedback powered by Disqus.

Credit score : Supply Hyperlink

Related posts